Friday 1 June 2012

England Squad

It's not exactly the squad I would go for. To be fair to Hodgson though, it's very easy to go well the squad's a bit thin in central midfield or up front (which it is) but then you try and think who should be in instead and the options are so limited it's tough to say. I was pleased to see Oxlade-Chamberlain in I think he could give the team a real drive and energy and creativity, far more in fact than the limited Theo Walcott and the even more limited Stewart Downing. The latter would not have made my squad, I'd have definitely gone for Adam Johnson whose only fault at club level is his attitude but has far more to offer on the pitch. Courtesy of Glen Johnson's defensive liability I feel very sorry for the mysteriously overlooked Micah Richards as well.

Anyway here's what I reckon player by player:

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart
The only choice between the sticks. If he's injured we really are screwed.

Rob Green
One example of why we're screwed if Hart's out.

Jack Butland
Who?

Defenders

Leighton Baines
An excellent and solid left back and good backup to Cole.

Gary Cahill
Growing in stature, would make my starting eleven but has an error or two in him.

Ashley Cole
We all hate him but we all know he is one of very few truly world class English players. A no brainer, in more ways than one...

Glen Johnson
Defensively a nightmare but does offer a lot going forward.

Phil Jones
An outstanding prospect and may find himself in midfield. Would be in my squad.

Joleon Lescott
Never been quite the same since leaving Everton but amongst limited options would probably make my squad as well.

John Terry
Out of form, over the hill...and a cock. Wouldn't have picked him.

Phil Jagielka
Solid and unspectacular but plays it safe. A good choice.

Midfielders

Stewart Downing
A lousy choice. A poor season where he was exposed as not Liverpool class let alone international class.

Steven Gerrard
Not his old self but used well and finally away from Lampard, he might just excel and give us something to remember.

Jordan Henderson
A poor season and a poor choice for the squad.

James Milner
Industrious but hardly a world beater. I would have picked him because you'll always get 200%.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Glad to see him in. Could come on and give a bit of unexpected pace and creativity.

Scott Parker
An awesome season but doubts remain over his fitness. Hope to god he's ok.

Theo Walcott
Never been a fan. Undeniably quick but not a lot else.

Ashley Young
On current form, a must pick.

Strikers

Andy Carroll
A surprising burst of form towards the end of the season meant he scraped a place, but I'm not expecting a lot.

Danny Welbeck
Ok but I remain unconvinced of his ability to reach the top level.

Jermain Defoe
A decent finish on him and I would have picked him but again I'm not expecting much.

Wayne Rooney
No doubt he'll get sent off when he does finally play.

No comments:

Post a Comment